Sunday, June 23, 2013

1800's American Troll


I decided to do with a mid 1800's American troll for this one. With genres like steampunk, the industrial revolution is romanticized, and is heavily focused on high class citizens and fancy, decorative machinery. Since we're working with trolls, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to do something a lot more grungy.

These trolls are integrated into human society, hoping to make a better living. However, lower class working American's survived on very low pay and hard labor. Being a troll, this guy is incredibly strong, an ideal candidate for a job at a steel mill. He is intelligent by troll standards, but still not quite enough to realize he's not being paid as much as he should. His wife proudly holds their night's dinner, a tiny rabbit. As trolls started growing up in a more civilized society, they evolved to be much less aggressive than their wild, savage cousins, though still known to loose their temper occasionally.


I wish I could have done another illustration with one of these guys, but work has been less than pleasant these past few weeks. However, if I do find the time to do so, I will definitely share, even if its late :)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are looking great! I can't wait to see what else you do with them :)

    --Britt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily- I really love this idea, it's something new for me and you have developed a couple real characters there with body language and expression.

    I know these are still really rough, but I would love to see you focus on two things: muscle/fat structure and clothing structure. While your silhouettes and overall structure is solid, I see you your default handling of both of these detail elements has too much pattern and uniformity. How might the material of her dress fall and wrap differently than his shirt? I'm pretty unclear what the anatomy is on his chin/neck area. Where else might their skin have folds and wrinkles? (ankles, knees, elbows?) Get some reference for his right arm holding the mallet as well.

    I love the little details you added such as the too small dress and the suspenders. Keep thinking like that.

    ReplyDelete